Sunday, March 07, 2010

Gingerbread & whipped cream...

 
Heavy cream, freshly whipped and sweetened with a shake of powdered sugar.  Isn't it pretty in the bowl?  This gets plopped on top of fresh gingerbread.  I don't know why I don't make it more often.  The flavor is deep and rich and earthy.


I didn't wait for you, I've taken a couple bites.


Hot black coffee goes perfectly with this cake.


Almost.....


.....gone.
........................................................................................

Gingerbread
~ Author Unknown (sorry)

1/2 c. butter
3 T. fresh grated ginger (I use a microplane zester)
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1 c. dark molasses
1 t. spicy brown mustard
2 eggs
2 t. baking soda
2 1/4 c. flour
1 c. hot strong brewed coffee
powdered sugar

Grease a 9x9 pan (I used an 8x11") and dust with flour.
Combine butter and fresh ginger in a large saucepan; you will mix the cake in it.  Cook butter and ginger on medium heat until aromatic, 3-5 minutes.  Stir in salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, & pepper and cook another 30 seconds.  
Remove from heat. (smells heavenly!)

Stir in sugar, molasses, and mustard until smooth.  Mix in eggs and baking soda until batter foams.  Stir in flour and beat well and then mix in coffee and stir until smooth.  Batter will be thin.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake at 375* for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan 10 minutes.  Remove cake from pan (or not).  Dust with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream.

.......................................................................................
I don't know where I found this recipe, but it is written in my hand on a grocery list type of paper.  All I know is that it is tried-and-true and so good.  Don't be frightened away by the hot mustard and pepper.  It gives the cake a richness and depth of flavor.  

*One tip that I have for fresh ginger root:  I freeze it.  When you need some, take the side of a spoon and scrape off the outer skin.  Then use a microplane zester to grate the ginger.  
Works like a charm.
.....................................................................
More drizzly, foggy days in a row.  I'm grateful that the wind isn't blowing.  I'm feeling under-the-weather both literally and metaphorically.  I've caught a nasty cold and am feeling tired and drippy, like the weather.  I shant complain about it though; after sloshing through the mud walking home from the chicken coop, I was thanking God that there is going to be green grass and plenty of run-off to fill the stock ponds.  
One has to look forward, doesn't she?

If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.  
~Anne Bradstreet

In all things, give thanks.....  I Thessalonians 5:18

14 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks so good, Jody! Yum. I'm going to copy this recipe. I hope you'll be feeling better right away. It's no fun to be sick when there's work to do! Take care. Oh, and I really like the Anne Bradstreet quote.

    (Also, I'm glad you liked the article about play!) :-)

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my way home from the grocery today I thought, "I think maybe my lovely blog friends may be feeling a bit under the weather today, like me." I took a long nap BEFORE lunch and now I just feel fuzzy. Your gingerbread makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh very yummy looking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    I hope you enjoy the recipe. Thank you for the get well wishes.

    Pom Pom,
    I took a nap directly after lunch. I just couldn't wait another minute. I wish I could serve you a hunk of gingerbread.

    Ellen B,
    Thanks, it is yummy!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make Gingerbread a lot. We just love it. And Amen to fresh whipped cream! And lots of it I might add.

    Hope you are feeling better, we have a bug making the rounds here as well.

    Right now clouds and wind are coming in from the north. We are supposed to be wet this week. I will not, will not complain ( but I am ready for warm weather).

    Yes we have to look forward to our blessings sometimes, and I know that this spring will be beautiful!

    ~M~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am sure I can smell it!!! Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of our favourite desserts - your recipe looks especially good.

    Hope you're feeling better soon. Sunshine and warmth are all ahead of us - that thought cheers me up on the drizzling cold days :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip on freezing fresh ginger root. I love to use it but too often some goes to waste.
    And the addition of black pepper is a nice touch! I love some chocolate in my gingerbread, maybe even some chocolate chips. I don't make it often enough, either. Must change that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! I love ginger cake and there is nothing like real whipped cream! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny -- I've never seen a gingerbread recipe with mustard -- it looks wonderful though. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I hope you're feeling better soon -- Spring is on her way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore gingerbread; thank you so much for sharing the recipe and tips. Your pictures make me want to whip up a batch of this delightful treat right away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jody!

    That looks wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing :) Fresh ginger AND coffee! Can't go wrong :) I ca';t wait to make it for my honey :)

    Have a blessed day!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! I must add fresh ginger to my shopping list now ~ thanX for the freezer tip. Hope your cold bug is quickly nipped in the bud and you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks DELISH! I am going to have to add this to my Bloggy Recipe Book. Who says you can't have Gingerbread year-round? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...