Saturday, April 05, 2008

Doughnut Supper....



Usually during spring calving and lambing I make doughnuts. It's just something that must be done. This past week it snowed again so this called for a doughnut supper. Just doughnuts, that's all, nothing else. We like our doughnuts in various ways.... dipped in sugar, sprinkled with powdered sugar, drizzled with vanilla frosting glaze.

Springs on the northern prairie are not always warm and bright, but mostly drizzly, snowy, rainy and cold. Just today it decided to rain. We're rejoicing that it's rain and not snow, but we know that the possibility is there that we could awake to a layer of white stuff on the ground in the morning. The upcoming week the weatherman is calling for drizzly, snowy, chilly weather -- just perfect for doughnuts. Here's my recipe.

Raised Doughnuts

Combine and let stand for 3 minutes:

1 c warm water (not hot)
2 packages dry yeast

Sift and stir in:
1 c. flour
Cover this sponge and let rise about 30 minutes in a warm place.

Beat in:
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
2-3 eggs (added one at a time)
1 t. salt
3 1/2 c. flour (added gradually)

Beat for five minutes. Cover and let dough rise about 1 hour or until double in size. Punch down and then roll out on a well-floured cupboard. Roll out to approx. 1/4" and let it set for a few minutes. Then cut out with round cutter with hole or else cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Strips should be about 1" wide by long. Fold a strip in half and twist it together.

Heat Crisco in large pan to about 320-350*.

Before frying fold a strip in half and twist together and gently put into grease. Turn when golden and drain on paper towels. Drizzle powder sugar glaze or dip into sugar or cinnamon sugar OR leave plain. Best eaten while warm, but they do heat up in the microwave well.







I learned to make the doughnut twists after reading the book Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I loved reading this book to my kids. Almanzo’s mom made doughnuts practically every day and she twisted them because she said they would turn over in the hot oil without her help. She thought the new-fangled round doughnut was way too much work. And she didn't have time to waste! (I love a woman who sticks with the easiest ways to keep house!)

13 comments:

  1. We have doughnut suppers occasionally too! Farmer Boy is one of our all time favorite family read alouds. We have to read it at least once a year. It always makes me hungry though. They ate such good food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tummy growling...must...make...(late)breakfast...Though I'm certain, now that I've seen these, my pancakes will pale in comparison. *sigh*

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved "Farmer Boy" too! Oh my goodness--they were always talking about food in that book. Such a contrast to "A Long Winter", hey?

    Those donuts look soooo good, Jody. Yum!

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to know what you meant by twisted donuts(canadian spelling)....now I know!
    Thank you for sharing that!
    Have you ever made funnel cakes? I just had my first on the weekend and they were so good!
    We made apple fritters the other day and now I want to try my hand at funnel cakes....should be interesting!
    Oh, and your bread/sandwich looks divine!
    You are so talented!
    love,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, one more thing:
    That lamb picture is so adorable....would make a great Spring header! Love the pics you added on the sidebar!
    Great Job Jody!
    love,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun dinner, just doughnuts! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe as you've made me hungry for this treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my boys would love you - donuts for supper!!

    When I saw the twisted donuts I thought of the Farmer Boy quote - and then scrolled down to see that you had included it.

    Our whole family loved that book and we read it many times. My boys always wondered why they couldn't have pie for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so delighted to know that so many of you are fans of Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Farmer Boy." We're ranch folks so it would seem natural that we would love the books, but it warms my heart to know that so many of you fell in love with Farmer Boy too.

    Pie for breakfast.....we do have that now and then. In fact, we've been having Apple Crisp for breakfast since it was left-over from Sunday Dinner.

    Thanks everyone, for your comments!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back again to say:
    I adore your header! Jody, thank you for letting me/us enjoy that photo in a larger size!
    You are so kind for putting it up and I just so adore lambs!
    (Makes me think of my Springtime in England!)
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohhh yum -- do those look good! I could certainly go for doughnuts for dinner -- what a great idea! So, since your instructions say to turn the doughnuts, does that mean that the twist doesn't make them turn themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM!
    We have strawberry shortcake for supper during strawberry season.
    I had forgotten the twisted donut thing.
    Going to do that next time!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are getting ready to go into "Farmer Boy" for our homeschool lessons. I love Little house on the Prairie. I have a question, does it matter what flour you use? As in All Purpose or Self Rising? Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All purpose flour. Good luck! Happy Homeschooling!

      Delete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...