Sunday, November 23, 2008

Tradition....



I've always loved this Norman Rockwell picture, Freedom From Want. It reminds me of our Thanksgivings with everyone gathered around the extra-specially set table with as many matching dishes and glasses as possible. Always the table requires the bread plate, wine glasses for the grown-ups, the crystal water goblets, the cranberries in the white ceramic dish that the recipe fits in perfectly. There are platters of turkey and ham, a great dish of mashed potatoes piled high and more mashed potatoes reserved in the kettle "just in case," more-than-enough gravy, and traditional dressing with no fancy nuts, sausage or berries in it. The strawberry-pretzel salad or the orange salad or both must also grace the table, and a relish tray -- the only vegetables except possibly for green bean casserole or a few chunks of squash that very few will eat. The brown bean pot is a regular at a holiday table as well. The punch bowl is set off by itself with tiny punch glasses or large ones for those who aren't so dainty about punch drinking. And lastly there is pie -- pumpkin, cherry, or peach and REAL whipped cream with hot coffee. Can you smell it?

But the best part of Thanksgiving are those who fill the chairs around this table.



Here are some old pictures of some very special people who once gathered to celebrate Christmas. My Grandma Kathryn is in the apron at the very end of this table.



And my Grandpa Ray is at the opposite end of the table in over-alls and white T-shirt. My dad (the boy winking) and his siblings are gathered with the best Aunts and Uncles Ever. Doesn't it look like a Rockwell painting? I share these photos today to remind you to enjoy every moment with those special people on the chairs at your Thanksgiving Feast. And by all means, take a picture! Your kids and your grandkids will thank you for it one day. I'm so glad I have this little piece of my family history.

"In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
~I Thessalonians 5:18

Happy Thanksgiving!

10 comments:

  1. What wonderful old photos! A wonderful Thanksgiving to you and yours! enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the family photos! I'm going to show Ben, I know he'll get a kick out them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all those very real kids (like your dad) who look like they're having a good time. And I see a older woman with a capped-sleeve dress or apron who looks like she might be from a generation before, yet she's sitting right in the midst of the boys, and also looks to be having a good time with them.

    And what's that painting on the wall? Looks like it might be a Bible painting, but I'm not sure.

    You've given us a good reminder that every Thanksgiving becomes a part of family history. We'll remember to get out the camera now!

    Happy Thanksgiving, Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen B, aren't old photos interesting?

    Mel, I'll be in touch with more oldies.

    Laura, the older woman amongst the kids is my Great Gram S. She loved children and was always in the middle of them. The painting on the wall is The Last Supper which always graced their dining room walls and now is in my dad's dining room.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your grandpa's picture.

    I always told my husband that in the small town where I grew up, "dressing up" meant the men put on a clean, white t-shirt"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool Mom! I love the old pics. I didn't know Grandpa's Last Supper picture was THAT OLD. Neat. Now I'm gonna have to bring my camera to Thanksgiving at Matt's familys house this year and snap a few.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first glanced at this photo I wondered how someone I didn't know would have a picture of Thanksgiving or Christmas at my grandpa and grandma's house! That first photo is almost exactly my grandparents dining room, down to the Last Supper picture over the buffet!

    Thanks for posting this.....brings back memories!

    And a Blessed Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a photo treasure - I love your Dad winking - very Norman Rockwell!!

    and your grandma was named Kathryn - that's my name - spelled the same way. The spelling is a little unusual - so I had to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Jody. We do have much to be thankful for, even in uncertain times.

    Also, all the treasures from your workshop look fabulous. I'm especially loving that scarf. I need to get busy in my workshop. This elf has a habit of waiting until the last minute. Then I am forced to tinker in the basement until the wee hours of the morning.

    Take care,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What great pictures -- I sure wish someone in our family had thought to take pictures "back then". I loved reading about your menu and laughed at the description with squash. I wonder why we always make it when so few actually eat it LOL! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...