I am now able to hard-boil an egg that can be peeled without it going to shreds! It's really the simple things in life that give me so much pleasure.
1. Poke a pinhole into the bottom of the egg shell without going through the membrane.
2. Add eggs to cold water with a little salt.
3. Bring to a boil and set timer for desired doneness (12-15 min. for hard-boiled, 6-8 min. for medium, 4 min. for soft).
4. When timer goes off, remove from heat and pour most of the hot water out and add cold water to eggs. Continue adding cold water until eggs are cool (unless you want them to be warm).
5. Crack, roll on the counter and peel. The shells should slip off easily.