Friday, September 28, 2007

Autumnal Toast



It's time to taste the Cherry Brandy!
Here's a toast.......to Autumn.

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.

~Emily Dickinson
________________________________________
Here's the recipe for the cherry brandy
that Isabella in the 21st Century
kindly shared with her readers back in July --
Cherry Picking Time.
This recipe is in her own words. It's best this way.
If you're out there "Isabella," thank you,
and please know how much you are missed.
My grandparents used to make something similar to this,
but they called theirs "Boozy Fruit."
They used combinations
of fruit in their concoction. The jar
was left on the counter and the
multi-colored fruits were very pretty to see.
The fruit was wonderful over ice cream --
so the adults said.
______________________________________________
Cherry Brandy
By: Isabella in the 21st Century (Natalie)

This would be a useful addition to any lady's
medicine cabinet so I thought I'd share the recipe.

You Will Need:
Enough good (washed) cherries to fill a jar,
2 oz sugar to every lb. of cherries.
Brandy to cover...supermarket brand,
not really good stuff or bath tub hooch.
A largish jar, well cleaned.

Method:
Prick your cherries and put them into the jar. Sprinkle sugar over them and cover with brandy, you want to completely cover them! Put the lid on the jar and fancy it up a little (cherry brandy deserves fancy) do not open for at least 2 months, you want the brandy to taste like cherries and the cherries to taste like brandy. Remember not to faint until the brandy is ready! There are culinary uses for cherry brandy, or so I'm told. I imagine they would be Black Forest Gateaux (who buys kirsch??) and trifle. Cherry brandy makes a nice gift...to people with nervous dispositions who often need reviving of course!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for putting this recipe up. I didn't copy it at the time and I want to make some for Christmas and beyond. I miss Natalie too and I hope she is spying on us. By the way I will send you or post on my blog the recipe for spinach and ricotta cheese pie. That was what you asked about wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,
    I'd love to have the recipe for the ricotta cheese pie. I'll be watching your blog! I hope Natlie's spying on us too.

    ~Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to all the great blogging women out there that share such wonderful ideas. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely toast! Emily Dickinson is one of my favorite poets and I'm always happy to see a bit of her work. Thank you for the recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty color that brandy is! I bet it would be nice for basting a fruitcake too....if you like fruitcake. I really do!
    Your centerpiece is lovely Jody.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan on making some of this for our medicine cabinet this winter.;) Thanks for the recipe.

    I love the hymn playing right now. The guitar is so beautiful. Makes me miss hearing Garrett playing it at home. Thanks Jody! It's lovely!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jody, I think your Fabulous. Come visit me I have something for you. Scroll down cause I have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your candle, acorn, & fall leaf centerpiece ~ very beautiful and autumnal :)
    Can I ask, do you use sour cherries or sweet for the brandy?
    Thanks!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love a sip or two of your cherry brandy! Yum! Everything looks very festive and beautiful, Jody. I enjoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always did like that poem by Emily Dickinson. hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...