Monday, May 04, 2009

New spring arrivals....



Flying above me....


(click photos for larger image)

Floating beside me....

We are plains dwellers so when these great white water birds come swooping in with the spring, it's quite an amazing sight for us. They landed on the stock pond near our house so I did a little bird watching one morning. I wonder if they scooped up some of the salamanders and frogs that we see everywhere? Still no signs of the little warblers yet.

The Pelican Chorus

King and Queen of the Pelicans we;

No other Birds so grand we see!
None but we have feet like fins!
With lovely leathery throats and chins!
  Ploffskin, Pluffskin, Pelican jee!
We think no Birds so happy as we!
Plumpskin, Ploshkin, Pelican jill!
We think so then, and we thought so still!

~Edward Lear
click to read more of this silly poem

7 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, Pelicans! How beautiful! And what is that waterbird out in front, with the elegant silhouette? (I enlarged the photo, but still can't tell.)

    We've got warblers now, but it has been pouring for four days and we had a busy weekend with company, so I've only seen a few. I'll be out soon, though ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how beautiful these white pelicans are! What a treat for them to come visit!! Love the song :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- that's so cool! Does this mean they eat the fish that you stock in the pond?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! A very exotic bird (in my opinion) to land in your pond...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing these pictures--I love the cow looking on in amazement!

    frances

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,
    It's a little hard to make out the duck in front of the pelicans, but I think it's a Northern Pintail. It's pretty common here. Still looking for warblers here.

    Ellen, pelicans are a sight to see here.

    Thimbleanna, we don't actually stock fish in our ponds, but there are likely little fishes and other aquatic life that they eat.

    Nikki, the pelican is an "exotic" bird out here anyway.

    Left-handed Housewife, I just had to capture the cows too.

    Storybook Woods, I'm so glad that we're not underneath any more snow, but honestly, we're not out of the woods yet.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jody. My first thought was Northern Pintail, but of course it's easy for me to say that now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...