Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Simple Things....



Back in the 80's I had triple hanging baskets like this in my kitchen, and as I've been organizing, I thought of their usefulness again. Lo and behold, I found a set in Kmart for about $5. Just what I wanted to keep dry onions and garlic close by. I had been storing some of them in the back closet of the mud room which was too cold and they began to freeze and go mushy. The frig is not the best place for them since there's too much moisture, so I chose this nifty hanging basket. It holds two kinds of onions for me and I have garlic at the tippy-top. I think it will be fun to add fresh fruits and veggies to the baskets as the seasons change.

Speaking of fruits and veggies, I, as the Headmistress of Food and Nutrition in Our House, have deemed that we shall eat more fruit and veg this year. Nutritional Experts say that we ought to eat 5-9 servings of fruit and vegetables (combined) a day, but what exactly is a "serving size"? This site says that approximately half a cup of sliced fruit or vegetables equals a serving size. A cup of fresh greens is a serving size, and one orange or one apple is equal to a serving size. There are more specifics at the site, so do check it out. Whatever a serving is, mind what your mother always harped on, "Dear, eat your vegetables."

I have decided to do another simple thing pertaining to my Bible reading. I will read a book from my Bible 20 times before moving on to another. It sounds somewhat tedious, doesn't it? I have chosen to begin with James since it has only five chapters. I think the idea is to "own" that book, to plant it deeply in the spirit, to make it a part of the life, and that is something I'd like to do. Island Sparrow has done it and highly recommends it, and she points us to this link for more information. Thanks Kathie!

"He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, 'God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble." ~James 4:6 (a scripture that is in my mind today)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jody - well you have me looking around my kitchen to find a place to hang a neat set of baskets just like yours. Right now my onions and squash are under the sink - it doesn't work so well there. Too damp.

    I've begun reading Philippians. I read different versions - and sometimes listen to the online audio versions. It helps to keep it fresh. I'm glad you're going to give it a try - let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tiered basket is attractive and functional. My mom has one hanging in her pantry and uses it likewise to store onions & garlic. Great minds! ;-)

    We heard an eXcellent sermon, last Sunday, on the importance of spending time in the scriptures. ThanX for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the basket. I need on,and used to have one...but lost it many moves ago.

    As a church we just finished reading and studying through the whole Bible, took 3 years. We finished in Revelation in December. And now we are going through it again, starting with Genesis.

    I like your idea for personal study. May have to give it a try.

    Have a great day.

    ~M~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your onion basket looks SO pretty! The food guidelines have always baffled me. If we ate the recommended servings in all the categories each day, we'd be rather large. But still, I need to eat more fruits and veggies, so thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been listening to a podcast from Nancy Leigh DeMoss (sp?). Well, I have it spelled right on my blog where I could look at it when typing.

    She talked about how the Lord started impressing upon her the need to park herself in one book of the Bible for awhile (or a Psalm, etc.).

    She always reads through the Bible but since she started spending time in one area, she has gained a lot of wisdom.

    Sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very inspired by the idea of reading a book of the Bible 20 times and immersing myself in it. Sometimes I need new ideas to breathe life into my Quiet Times. Glad you shared this, Jody.

    Blessings,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that basket set brings back some memories...hmmm...wonder where I could put one.
    Love the way scripture pops into our mind, God is Good.
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...