Friday, November 12, 2010

The best cookies ever, ever, EVER!

Soft Molasses Cookies are my family's all-time-favorite cookie -- the perfect blend of spices and molasses and the best eating cookies ever.  Crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.   Yup, just like Lays Potato Chips, no one can eat just one!  I'm sure I've eaten a dozen already today.  That's what happens when the weather turns cold; the thermometer hovered around 32 degrees for a high.  Baking becomes a terrific idea!

Soft Molasses Cookies
~copied from an old Country Woman magazine

1/2 c. butter, soft
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. molasses
2 eggs
3 1/2 to 4 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
2 1/4 t. baking soda
2 t. ginger
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves

Cream first five ingredients in a mixing bowl, then add the dry ingredients a cup at a time, mixing as you go.  Roll dough into 1" balls and then roll balls in a bowl of sugar.  Place balls two inches apart on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Do NOT over-bake.  Eat hot out of the oven!  If there are any left, keep cookies soft by storing them in cookie jar or covered container with a small chunk of bread.  Makes approximately 3-4 dozen cookies. 

HP and I played follow-the-leader in the snow.

 She not only eats snow, but icicles too.  Who can resist licking a long, clear-as-glass icicle, I ask you?  Back to eating cookies.  I'll make it healthier by drinking a big glass of milk!

14 comments:

  1. Those cookies looks wunderbar! I wonder if my hubby would eat them? I might have to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These used to be our favorite cookie -- so inexpensive too, especially when I bought gallons of molasses at a time. They are surely yummy....I can almost taste them. If I made any these days I would gain a few pounds pronto, as there is no one to share them with (husband eats about one cookie a week).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love molasses cookies! Thanks for sharing a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday I pulled out my Martha Stewart Chewy molasses spice cookies and was about to whip them up when the girls asked for scones to go along with a movie so...
    I'll have to try this recipe (although they are very similar)
    Great post!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now what would I use instead of molasses?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrr! Those pictures look cold! But the cookies look wonderful. I think you've just given me my cooking idea for today! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do love soft Molasses cookies. Those look great. Look at that icicle...brrr. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Yum! Yum! Must make!
    What a smell, too! If we smelled like that we'd have followers like the Pied Piper, wouldn't we?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh we love Molasses cookies -- thanks for reminding to make some!
    And you have snow?! We've still been wearing shorts and flip flops ;(.
    Blessings,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum Yummy Yum Ms. Gumbo! I made those cookies tonight -- they're wonderful! I'm going to take some to my dad tomorrow -- I know he'll love them. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I haven't baked with molasses for a long time Jody. These cookies sound scrumptious. Such fun to be playing in the snow with Hazel Peach. Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have used the Country Woman recipe several times. There's nothing like the smell of molasses cookies baking on a cool day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We made gingersnaps this weekend--very similar recipe, and a very popular cookie!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made these cookies twice now, and I thank you SO much -- they really are good, and the kids consume them with milk. Perfect for chilly weather.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...