Monday, December 25, 2017

Quiet, stay-at-home Christmas...




It has turned out to be a quiet, stay-at-home, cozy Christmas for Hubby and I.  The whole lot of us (kids and grands and us) came down with the Christmas Crud (stomach virus) this past week and even before that, so we all opted to stay at our homes and just take it easy, recover, and not have our traditional Christmas Feast on the day.

As it always is here on the ranch, the winter feeding chores must be done no matter whose birthday it is or which holiday celebration is happening.  The Sons managed feeding the calves and thawing out the frozen water tanks.  After our morning coffee and a little breakfast, Hubby and I went to feed the cows and sheep.  It was -6 degrees F when we left so the livestock were very happy to see us pull up.  I thought the black cows' faces looked so cute with their whiskers all frosty white.  The sheep came on the run and were absolutely crazy for the salt blocks that were alongside the water tank.  It's funny, they know where the salt is, but they don't think about going to it unless they go down for a drink, and they don't drink much when there is snow on the ground.

I always think fondly of livestock on Christmas Morning, wondering about the animals that might have been in the same barn as Jesus was.  How strange to have people lingering so long and not going in to the house.  I wonder if Joseph might have had to feed some hay to cows or sheep or mules that morning while Mary suckled a warm baby Jesus, tucked in close beside her -- full and content. 


For our Christmas Dinner, I made a simple roast beef with potatoes, onions, and carrots all in the same pot.  The gravy that comes from that combination is the best!  As we enjoyed our salad and dinner, I popped a cherry pie in the oven.  I like to make mine with a mix of frozen sweet and tart cherries.  Hubby says it's his favorite pie.  Here it is, hot out of the oven.  We'll let it cool and have it for afternoon coffee along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.  Oh!  speaking of ice cream, do you ever put a small spoon of ice cream in your coffee?  It's a nice treat once in a while.

It's been a quiet day for us, the first Christmas we've spent "just the two of us".  We've enjoyed it, but it's different from the rowdy houseful of kids and grandkids that we are used to for holidays.  We will all celebrate together very soon though.

I hope you're enjoying this day when we remember the Reason for the Season -- Jesus!
Merry Christmas, friends!

12 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and yours, Jody! The pie looks delicious and the photos are beautiful. My family gathered here, at my place, for the day and we had a wonder ful time. Daddy said the blessing andam so grateful to still have him...he's 89 and Mom is 83...it's both blessing and gift.
    Be safe, there's another storm coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're all feeling better soon! We had a quiet day as well since there was a storm forecast for today. But it will be over by tomorrow and we'll celebrate then. Worked out well since our youngest boy was working. But he's off tomorrow. And I had a good rest after our busy Christmas Eve. PS our sheep arrived - Roger's a happy man :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you all had a stomach virus in time for Christmas! Hopefully you'll all feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right back at ya! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy...sorry to hear you were all hit with the crud. Glad you were able to still get out to feed the animals. Love those white whiskers and the line of sheep. Your peaceful, quiet Christmas sounded real nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope everyone's feeling better! Your quiet Christmas sounds very nice, along with the crockpot roast and cherry pie. I hope it tasted good to you! Blessings and warmth to you and your young ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm glad to hear you will all "make up" the celebration get-together after everyone is well again. It is a very different Christmas to be home alone and quiet, but not bad :) That cherry pie looks lovely, and I do feel convicted to make those myself. Fruit pies are my favorite, but for some reason I feel they are a "naughty" treat (which they aren't) or that i should only make them with fresh, local fruit that i pick, which is silly. Thanks or the reminder. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter's kids came down with that on Christmas Eve. Gosh, I wonder where it came from. I think it sounds peaceful. Ours was quiet, but different. My son has a girl friend from the Philippines. Its her first time being away from her family at Christmas. She kept us laughing.
    I wish I could send you some lemons. I know that would make you feel better. Your cows and sheep are gorgeous. I hope you all have Christmas soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! I have seen those frosted whiskers on the Angus on either side of our farm. At our place I smile at my LaMancha dairy goats blown up like porcupines despite thick bedding of straw and bellies full of heat generating alfalfa.

    Trust you are continuing to feel better and the entire family will gather round soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first comment didn't show up. Sad. I think it's my phone's prob.
    Anywho, I am so sorry you were sick, but I get it. Last year we had that sickie problem over Christmas.
    I bet you are a bit weary.
    I know you'll eat some of that pie for breakfast for a while.
    Sending heaps of love . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have also been super sick. Ella does not understand why we haven't gone for our weekend snowshoe trips. I also miss them greatly. Hopefully, if we sit still for awhile we will gain strength and be able to go out and wander again. I enjoy your blog immensely. I hope you have a happy and healthy 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The photos of the animals are amazing, Jody, I love them. Sounds like a nice Christmas to me. I hope your New Year is equally as nice.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...