Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's Tea O'Clock...


Seven years ago my daughter and I went on a 12 day trip to England to see what we could see, and we saw All That We Could See in that amount of time, including my British friend, A. who took us out romping in the Midlands and showed us great hospitality.  It was at her home that I first saw an electric kettle, an essential now in my own home. Oh what a time we had together!  Today A. mentioned that she was having a cream tea in my honor and since my daughter, G. gave me this dotty Stoke-on-Trent mug, made in the year of the Queen's Jubilee, I decided to have my own cream tea this afternoon.

Cream tea does not mean "pouring cream in tea," but instead it means having scones (what we call biscuits in rancher talk) and plopping them with whipped cream and jam.  This is a real treat!  I used my own strawberry jam on these.   Hubs enjoyed it too although he did not take any tea with his biscuit.

I enjoyed re-reading some lovely cards.

Then I decided to take a turn around the garden.

I love moss roses and they are thriving in the heat of the sun...

...and lilies and hollyhocks are holding on.

Mrs. Robin and her fledglings were out and about the yard.
It's another hot afternoon, but still, taking a cream tea was very refreshing to the soul.

If you are cold, tea will warm you.  If you are too heated, it will cool you.  If you are depressed, it will cheer you.  If you are excited, it will calm you. 
 ~Gladstone, 1865

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You had real food at your tea party! Oh, I bet you had a ball in England. I love your mug, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a NEAT trip to take with your daughter!! I bet you have wonderful memories:). Your mug is darling!I LOVE tea...and have it many times during the day:).

    If you are ever passing through this way, I would LOVE to have a cup of tea with you. It would be so fun to meet:).

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea. I've often wondered why we haven't adopted the idea of afternoon tea. I do think scones are catching on here, although, the american version seems to be sweetened up a lot as we don't usually do the cream. No sweetening needed when you do it the right way. Yours looks Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote at the end of your post made me smile, esp. the part about tea calming them excited. It all looks really yummy especially your strawberry jam. Yummo! I really like the coral colors of your flowers. I want to paint my toes that color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cream tea sounds a wonderful idea to me, as I love cream and I love tea, and I really, really love biscuits. Your flowers look gorgeous!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was it 7 years ago! My but time does fly Jody ;)
    Your cream tea looked scrumptious...... Mine was too, the cream was clotted but unfortunately the jam was not homemade. I'll have to try and make jam one day.
    I also spy a certain card that looks familiar ;)
    Special memories X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo and forgot to mention how beautiful your flowers looked, I love using vintage containers.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...