Monday, October 15, 2012

Healing Salve...

 Infused herb oil

Since I've been dabbling in making homemade balms, I figured today I would make a Healing Salve out of the  infused herb oil I made a week ago.  This ointment will be good to use on cuts, scrapes, burns, diaper rash and on itchy skin as well as for everyday use on rough, chapped skin.  I added in a few drops of lavender and rosemary essential oil for their healing properties.
.............................................................
Healing Salve
2 oz. infused herb oil (or add any liquid oil of choice)
1/2 oz. beeswax
12 drops grapefruit seed extract or 2-3 vitamin E capsules
10-16 drops of essential oil of choice (opt.)

Combine oil and beeswax in a pint mason jar.  Place it into a pot of hot water on the stove.  I add a jar ring in the bottom of the pot to keep the jar off the bottom of the pan.  Heat beeswax and oil together on low heat until melted. Remove from heat and add grapefruit seed extract OR vitamin E oil OR both.   The two are a natural preservatives and antibacterial.  Add optional essential oils.  Mix with a whisk until combined but pourable.  It will start to harden fairly fast.  Pour into tins or glass jars.  Cool.  Add lids.
Makes 1/4 cup.
.................................................................
Tips: 
To clean out greasy jars, tins, and other items used in making salves, sprinkle them generously with baking soda and wipe out with a paper towel.  Then use hot soapy water to finish cleaning them.  I find that a final swipe with an alcohol-soaked paper towel takes the last of the oily film off containers.

Medicinal Herb Chart:  uses for plants and herbs.  You can use drops of essential oils instead of an infused oil for making healing salve.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, lovely! Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these recipes....it is something I would like to try...maybe next year I can dabble a bit...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really want to try this!

    ~M~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing these homemade remedies. I would never have been brave enough to try them myself, but you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your clear instructions make it appear quite do-able -- and the salve definitely sounds soothing and aromatic. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm dying to try making some of this save. I'll add the herbs to my garden list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I left a comment here earlier. Hmmm.
    I like your making of salves. It's so homey and loving!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...