Monday, October 01, 2012

Cream Soup Mix

Just this week when I was cooking for a crew of folks, I realized I didn't have any cream of mushroom soup for my pot roast.  Living 60 miles away from town, I can't buzz down to the grocery store when I need a little something.  My way of life is to improvise or substitute.  This nifty little mix has been in my cooking arsenal for many years and it is a deliciously inexpensive way to substitute for any cream soup.  You may adjust the herbs and the bouillon  to your tastes. 

Cream Soup Mix
  • 2 c. powdered milk
  • 3/4 c. cornstarch
  • 1/4 c. instant chicken bouillon granules (or soup base) -- may use low-sodium
  • 2 tsp. dried onion flakes
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1 tsp dried basil 
  • 1 tsp. celery seed
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
Mix ingredients together in a bowl to combine and then pour into a quart mason jar or other airtight container.  To use, scoop out 1/3 cup of dry mix and add 1 1/4 cup of water to it.  Dissolve and bring to a boil,  stirring constantly.  When thickened, remove from heat and use as you would in recipes that call for a can of cream soup.

My old recipe card says the cost comes to 18 cents per batch to make it.  That was some time ago, so let's up that for inflation to 50 cents a batch. It's a lot cheaper than canned soup and check the protein value!  A one quart batch will make the equivalent of 12 cans of cream soup.

Nutritional Facts 1/3 cup mix equals 152 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat-free milk.

15 comments:

  1. I gave my book to my daughter but it was called Make a Mix cookbook. Did you have one of those? It had recipes for everything that we buy at the store like that so you could use it and never have to buy a mix again.
    I love that recipe for cream soup and I am going to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing to have on hand Jody. That's thinking ahead. I'm not sure I could surrive if I lived that far from the market. You really need to be organized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Good for you for coming up with a substitute. 60 miles from town. That really puts things in perspective. You really have to have an organized planned pantry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live 50 miles from a good sized grocery store and if I buy from the smaller 'mom/pop' store, I really have to watch the 'buy by' dates. Your mix sounds like something I need to try. I like to make casseroles and freeze them ahead and that often requires lots of 'cream' soups. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    I've been reading your blog for a while and I'm enjoying very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so going to try this. You would be proud...even though the store is close I just don't like going so I improvise more and more. It is kinda fun to see what I can make do with. This mix looks healthier than the canned stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For years we lived 2 blocks away from a grocery store and yet I would adapt and overcome when I were out of something. It drove my husband nuts, but I was raised 50 miles from town. Mom didn't have this one in her recipe index, but I will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Farm Girl,
    No, I didn't have that mix book. I got my recipe a long, long time ago from an extension agent's newsletter. It's been a good recipe.

    Gwynette,
    I'm glad you've given a comment this time. It's good to know you're "out there!"

    WW, I do think this mix is much healthier than the canned soup, and yes, I am proud of you for making do.

    BBBB,
    When you live so far from town, you make it a lifestyle to improvise and substitute, don't you? I hope you try the mix.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this is a must try for me!
    I live near town, but I still improvise because I refuse to run to town all the time! I grew up on a farm where it was about 20 miles any direction to a store...my mom was always good at substituting! Thank you for sharing.

    p.s. I love your header picture...my pumpkin plant died...thanks to the squash bugs ;(

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be handy for gluten-intolerant folks, since it uses cornstarch instead of wheat flour. I think I'll try it with arrowroot instead of corn starch, to see if it might also work that way for people who can't eat corn. What a great idea...do you keep it in the fridge? I assume that is instant powdered milk? Do you use non-fat?
    I used to live far out of town and I still can't get used to running to the store all the time. If someone else wants to shop for me, I'll let them, but otherwise I'll work very hard to stretch out the time between shopping trips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gretchen Joanna,

    I am sure you could use arrowroot in this recipe. The cornstarch is the thickener and I know arrowroot is very similar measure by measure. I do use non-fat instant powdered milk, but you could use any kind of powdered milk. This recipe will fit into a quart mason jar and that's how I store it on the shelf. No need to refrigerate it. I like that.

    I hope you try the mix. It works great. And tastes good too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YEAH!!!! I used to use this recipe years ago and lost track of where I wrote it down. Can't believe I found it here! LOVE this stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is REALLY GOOD. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...