Sunday, September 23, 2012

Where can I go from Your Spirit?

I was a teenaged girl the first time I ever opened a Bible, The Way, and that day I read this Psalm.  It really spoke to a broken heart like mine.  I realized then that God had everything in His Hands and His Hands were on my shoulders.  I could trust Him -- in all things.  Today I am drawn back to this Psalm as I am so often.  Even before you and I were born, He had all our days written down -- the mother and father we would be born to, the family we would live with, the hardships, the challenges, the blessings and the mercies.

God knew what would bring me to my feet and what would make me fall asleep from boredom.  When I thought I was strong,  He knew inside I was weak. I could do it on my own; He knew I needed Him.   When my world was falling apart, the darkness was not dark to Him.  Where could I go from His Spirit?  I was surrounded!

For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.

Psalm139 
 O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.
You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
You have hedged me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain it.
Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall[a] on me,”
Even the night shall be light about me;
12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[b]
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.
17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You.
19 Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!
Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.
20 For they speak against You wickedly;
Your enemies take Your name in vain.[c]
21 Do I not hate them, O Lord, who hate You?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
24 And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.

11 comments:

  1. I can almost echo your words. I felt the same way when I found this Psalm. reading still makes me stop and ponder and thank God I can come to Him and pray this same prayer too. Thanks for this today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful Psalm. It holds so much promise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful words of life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorites - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we were reading The Way at close to the same time. I loved Reach Out, too. I so needed my living Savior and I am so grateful that He saved me when He did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "When I awake, I am still with You." And this is all His grace, glory to His name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has long been a favorite chapter of mine..."Search me, O God, and know my heart..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go back to this affirming scripture time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad he came to you all those years ago, Jody!! What comfort it is to know He does all things well. This is a beautiful psalm. BTW, I love the new pumpkin photo above. Stunning! I love pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Psalm and reading about what it means to you.

    I love your new punkin header, too. Fall is in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully written! I love this Psalm too.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...