Friday, April 16, 2010

Baking day....

One loaf of bread left on the pantry shelf.  
It HAD to be baking day....Today!
I started with bread and it grew from there.
This is what I call my Everyday Loaf, but my 17yo son calls it 
The Queen's Loaf.  ~mother's smile~
It is made with white flour, wheat flour, ground oats
and it's sweetened with molasses.

 While the bread was rising, I thought a peach pie would be delicious for dessert tonight so I grabbed a couple jars of the peaches I canned last fall, drained them, and made a thick filling from part of the syrup to pour over the peaches for the pie. I drank the rest of the syrup  -- liquid of the gods!  A little fresh grated nutmeg and a dash of cinnamon and I had a pie in progress.  I am such a messy cook.

Two items down.

But I had been thinking of those chocolate muffins we had at Easter for days so....
They came next.  
The muffins have strong coffee and vanilla chips in them
so I gave them a new name...
Perk-up Chocolate Muffins.
I know.  You want the recipe.

Perk-up Chocolate Muffins
1/2 c. baking cocoa
2/3 c. hot, strong coffee
1 1/3 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, soft
3/4 t. baking soda
1/8 t. salt
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 c. vanilla chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix coffee & cocoa and set aside to cool.
In a bowl, cream sugar and butter.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Now add the coffee mixture.  Lastly, fold in dry ingredients and chips.  Do not over-mix.  Pour in lined muffin tins.  Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes.
Makes 12 scrumptious muffins.
It's time to clean up the mess and then.....
it's coffee time!

6 comments:

  1. IMPRESSIVE!!! I want to come to your house for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner...YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness...Looks like a great aroma day in your kitchen! Those loaves of bread are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you for an inspirational post ;-)....I've just been inspired to go downstairs and eat breakfast.
    And probably my inspiration will last a few more weeks until I get my kitchen back and can bake a pie!
    Isn't it fun to have uninterrupted time in the kitchen so that one thing can lead to another and you end up with a lot to show for your labors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy. I can't wait to make the muffins. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi amazing friend!
    I missed this post earlier. My week was waaaaay too full and I didn't get my usually bloggy connecting time.
    Oh, the pie looks gorgeous and I can just see you tipping back that beautiful peach nectar!
    One thing I don't mind not eating (one, that's it) is a muffin. The perky muffins are ingenious though and if muffins could crowd out my passion for cookies, I'd make yours! What are you doing today, Jody? It's going to rain here and big girls and little girls are coming over. I plan on doing some hugging and kissing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Looks wonderful! Can't wait to try the muffins..maybe tomorrow for breakfast, should keep DH awake during church, ha ha.

    You commented on the picture of my DH making boots. Yep he does it in his spare time. Those are for oldest DS. I am thinking of doing a post on bootmaking start to finish. He has a pair for our son-in-law to finish after he gets these done. It is amazing all the work that goes into a pair of hand made boots...thus the high prices!

    Have a great day.

    ~M~

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...