Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Spring snow...

 It snowed all day yesterday.
Heavy, wet stuff that melted at first and then accumulated.
We received about 6" on top of the slop
 which amounted to .6" in the rain gauge.
The low temp last night was 25*.
Brrrr!

 I spent most of yesterday indoors sewing.
I made these stretchy headbands for the little girls using
girls' tights and made clip-on flowers from silk and cotton voile.
(I didn't cut my flowers as fussy as M. Stewart did)
They turned out quite springy.

This is my second time making this Dutch Almond Puff.
It is so delicious and feels very fancy, but it's easy to make.
I spread mine with apricot jam and then drizzled it with a glaze and sprinkled on nuts.
So good with coffee or tea.
I found the recipe on Bonnie's blog:
(Thank you, Bonnie!) 


Danish Almond Puffs
 Cut together until it resembles a coarse meal:
1/2 cup of butter 
1 c. flour
Add 2 Tbsp. cold water
Mix into a dough.  Then press into two 3x12 rectangles on an ungreased baking sheet. 
Next boil:
1 c. water 
1/2 c. butter
add 1 tsp. almond extract
Remove from heat and add:
1 c. flour
3 eggs one at a time beat them in.
Beat until smooth.  Spread over the pastry rectangles and bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.  Combine:   2 c. powdered sugar, 4 Tbs. cream, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1/8 tsp. salt.  Beat the frosting until smooth.  When the pastries are out of the oven spread jam down the middle.  I use raspberry jam and caramel apple jam.  The when cooled drizzle the frosting on.  If you remember sprinkle with ground nuts. 

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, look at that snow. I'm sure your ground will enjoy soaking it in. That almond puff is calling to me. I'm a sucker for pastry. Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - surprise! Just the time to enjoy a yummy pastry with your coffee!

    Your hairbands are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness look at all of that snow. I love the headbands! I also love your pastry. It just looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy you are enjoying the recipe. It is my thanks to you for showing me the joys of French press coffee. I tossed my coffee pot. There is no way I could ever go back. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Puff is my favorite!
    How cute, the headbands!
    We're supposed to get snow tomorrow. It feels chilly today.
    I'm coming over for coffee and a big helping of that puff, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was right about you having a perfect spring -- SNOW!!! Yay!!! Your weather is here now -- although no snow, just dipping temps. Your little headbands are adorable -- I'll be the girls love them. And thanks for the recipe -- it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be nice to stay in crafting and baking on a snowy day. We are already wearing t-shirts and using sun screen :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. The pastry looks mouth-watering! We got the same snow, I think. It had mostly disappeared by late afternoon. Hope you enjoyed your sewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, while I bask in sunshine and real flowers, you are watching snow fall and making your very own delightful flowers to give away! So clever and those little darlings will look even cuter!
    I can hardly stand it---that Danish Almond Puff---it's so amazing. I hope you ate many pieces on my behalf!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...