Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Rainy results...








Over the past week we've had some warm temperatures, snow run-off, and rain!  There are puddles in the pastures, goopy gunk under gates, waters in the wadis, and we are happy as Herefords in a hay yard!  Yup!  It appears that we are going to get some spring showers and some wetness.  Even today we've had a few sprinkles and there's more in the forecast. 

We worked all the mature Hereford cows through the corrals and barn a few days ago and sorted them up by calving dates, three ways.  I was the gate swinger and all that muddy goop was where I was pushing cows through to their appropriate pens.  I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my job because not only was there mud to slog in, but there was warm sunshine too.  Perfect for this ranchgirl.

All of the cows are now out in their designated pastures doing what they are supposed to do:  eating grass and having their calves.  So far we've had no problems, but there are about 400 head yet to have their babies.  Driving out to check cows is like a daily Easter Egg Hunt, our eyes search and search looking for wet baby calves with their mothers licking them off and suckling them.

Around the home and gardens, I've been raking up dead willow branches in the backyard and digging out clumps of grass and weeds from amongst the tulips, daffodils, and hyacinth spears that are shooting through the moist soil.  It's so exciting to see the new life happening right before my eyes.  It's days like these when we are so glad to live in the country and watch cows calving in the pasture right out of our front windows.  I told Hubs the other day, "People would pay to have our views and see what we see out of our kitchen windows -- even for a weekend."



On the topic of birds -- Peach, Toodles, and their Mom spied these Eastern Bluebirds in the tree patch next to their house.  They were  so kind to share their photos with me!  Will the bluebirds stay or migrate further south?  I don't know, but they do like rotted trees with holes in them for nesting, so it could happen that they decide to stay with us.  We have a large amount of flickers who like to nest in our  rotted trees too so time will tell.  No matter what they decide, it's so fun to see their bright blue wings flying amidst our leafless trees.

On another note, the septic system is clogged.....again.  Likely the roots from the Willow tree are interfering.  We will find out tomorrow.  Bummer.

"Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush." 
~Doug Larson
ring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/douglarson107646.html?src=t_spring
Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/douglarson107646.html?src=t_spring

7 comments:

  1. Oh bummer about the septic for sure. Hope it gets sorted quickly. Such a lovely splash of blue from those birds. Water in your wadis. Andrew used to jump over wadis with his machine gun in Afghanistan. I'm pretty sure they were dry though. Hope the rest of the week goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are also getting the rain. It seems like all of our snow soaked in pretty quick. I do love to see those little babies a bucking and playing. We have bluebirds and robins also. Good luck with the septic. Pesky trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rain! Oh glorious rain. I'm so happy it came and did its grand work! Those signs of spring are sure lovely! And yes, people would pay for such a view!
    I'm sorry to hear about the septic problem and hope it works out soon.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bluebirds! Gorgeous!
    My sister in Spokane had septic systems problems, too. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the picture, and that house in the distance, was how it was out here when I was growing up. My grandmother lived that far away and my great grandmother on the other side. I like that picture. I like all of your pictures! I think you are so right, I would give anything to see in person what you see. Wonderful work too being the person on the gate.
    You asked about why I like bantams in your comment to me? Just because they are all so different. My bantams have such funny personalities. My bantams hens are just wonderful layers even if their eggs are small. :) If you read Laddie again, I want to ask you about a passage that I could never figure out. Its that part when Mrs. Freshett comes and tells her story. I have just never understood what she is saying.
    Have a lovely spring day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bluebirds...calves...mud. Mud is a happy thing when it evidences spring rains. Thank you LORD! And going on your daily search for newborn calves - that sounds awfully exciting! A calf is a much bigger and more splendid creature than an Easter egg :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy for your rain!! May it continue very regularly. Look at those bulbs popping up!! That's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...