Sunday, August 23, 2009

Lil red apron....


click to enlarge for more detail

A Lil Red Apron became a housewarming gift for a friend far away.
A *shout out* to Aimee Ray, author of Doodle Stitching Fresh & Fun Embroidery for Beginners. This is a lovely embroidery book with lots of great ideas for the beginner as well as for someone who has been embroidering for a long time. I don't consider myself a beginner because I've been embroidering on-and-off since 5th grade, but there is always something to learn as you go along in the World of Embroidery. The apron I made is an idea I took from Doodle Stitching, but I added my own twist to it. For more samples of doodle stitching, click here and here. I first read about doodle stitching from Cassie at You Go Girl.

The simple threaded running stitch that trims the pocket and the edges of the apron excites me because it reminds me of ric-rac. I love, love, love ric-rac and most of the time I don't have the color or size that I want in my stash and a trip to the store means a 2 hour drive, so I'm thinking of using this easy-peasy stitch as a replacement for ric-rac on some things like this tea towel....



A *new* item to me that I'm excited to use is called Transdoodle. It's a transfer paper that has a chalk side that is laid on the fabric. You then lay your embroidery pattern or quilt template on top of the pattern and trace. It makes a very crisp, easy-to-read transfer and it is removable. The Transdoodle paper is also re-usable many times over and is available in blue, yellow and white. Check your local sewing/crafting centers for it. I bought mine online at Overstock.com where the price was decent and the shipping was just a buck (that day).....way cheaper than that 2 hour drive to the city.

Addendum: After using the Transdoodle product, I cannot wholeheartedly endorse it. I had a hard time seeing my transfer after tracing with a pencil and a ball point pen. I followed the package directions, but I was hoping for a much darker transfer. After all, I have 47 year old eyes! I can, however, recommend washable quilting pens and Crayola Washable Markers. I used the Crayolas on the apron to mark the pattern and at first, I didn't think it would wash out, but with a gentle soaking and a light wash, the marks came out just fine. Does anybody else have a favorite transfer method for embroidery or quilting? Please share.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my, your cucumber towel is so much like one given me for a wedding present 37 years ago, embroidered by a teen to whom I'd been a sort of Big Sister.
    I don't have the patience for embroidery, but you are inspiring me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that threaded running stitch looks great! I'm just old fashioned when it comes to transfers -- I tape the pattern to the window on a sunny day, tape my fabric over it, and then trace it with a good ol' #2 pencil. I always embroider over the pencil lines, so I don't have to worry about washing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gretchen Joanna,
    I think this is a "vintage" embroidery pattern. I'm glad it sparked a memory for you and perhaps a little stitchery in the future.

    Thimbleanna,
    Your method of tracing is truly my tried-and-true way, but I keep looking for a darker line to focus on.

    Clarice,
    Thanks for your kind comments and yes, my friend liked the apron.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your embroidery is so inspiring, it really makes me want to take it up. I don't think my husband is signing off on me taking on any new crafts at this time (the lace knitting is driving us all nuts), but when I get permission to, I'll e-mail you for advice. I love the vintage look that embroidery can give to to things, and just how beautiful it is in general.

    frances

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...