Sunday, August 09, 2009

Hailstones...



Last night, just before supper, a great, gray cloud boiled and swirled and in a matter of moments, began dropping pea-sized and marble-sized hailstones upon us. It pelted down for a good 5 minutes and brought down leaves and branches from the trees and mostly halted my gardening efforts for the year. I'm hopeful some of the tomatoes will continue to ripen on the vine, but time will tell. I'm sure glad I picked the chokecherries because those that were left on the branches are mostly beaten off.

The bulls in the House Pasture went running for cover, but there wasn't any so they put their butts to the wind and dropped their heads to brace for the beating. The good thing is that cattle have a very thick hide which does protect them from such things. Very young livestock, on the other hand, can really take a beating, especially if the hail is severe. It could've been much worse.








The weather-folks are predicting more of the same tonight. I think I'll save the raking and clean-up for tomorrow.



A good thing....
My Darling Daughter who works at a flower shop happened to come out visiting. She made me this sweet arrangement from my garden flowers. Thank God for little intuitions of picking flowers when you have them. Today, pick some. You know not what tomorrow brings.

9 comments:

  1. Yikes! That is some serious hail. Glad things are ok. Wonderful advice about the flowers and TODAY! Blessings as you batten down the hatches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to get pretty severe weather. I noticed you got a lot of snow. The weather has been kind of crazy the last few years. I love seeing your pictures. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- what a storm! I love your advice at the end of your post -- beautiful flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jody,
    ( my baby girls nickname )
    Do you often have this type of weather in August ? Was it cold ? Brr I don't like cold..
    Come over to my blog I have something for you there.
    Elsie <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to see your summer work disappear in a matter of minutes, due to hail; or in a matter of days, due to drought and grasshoppers. I will pray you are only sent rain in the next few storms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope all is well with everything (animals, plants, and so on) as hail is indeed very damaging. We don't get it very often in Tucson, but when we do it's broken our roof tiles and damaged our trees. I'm glad you and your family are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I just hate hail storms. We have them bad at times, totaled a pickup several years ago.

    What a year for weather we have had all over the nation. Kinda creepy.

    ~M~

    ReplyDelete
  8. We got caught in a hail storm in the Black Hills last Friday night. We were attending the motorcycle rally, and hail the size of large eggs is definitely not what you want to see. It was really scary. Hopefully that's the last of the hail we'll see this summer. The weather this summer has just been weird even back in Minnesota where we live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about the storm, Jody, but I'm glad to know the damage wasn't extensive. Fingers crossed some of your tomatoes survive!

    frances

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...