Thursday, August 13, 2009

Blue jeans quilt #4....



It is finished! My Fourth Born's jean quilt is done just in time for him to take it to college. He doesn't leave until end of August, but I'm glad he will be taking this with him. The jean quilts are a family tradition. Each child gets one when he or she leaves home, and each quilt is made up of the family's worn-out blue jeans that are trimmed up for quilts and other uses.

This quilt was fairly simple -- it's a four patch block that was sandwiched with a thin cotton batting and backed with a larger block of batik in gold, brown, or green. After the blocks were stiched-in-the-ditch, I did a "quilt-as-you-go" assembly method that involved sewing a row of blocks together so that the backing was at the top (think rag quilt). I then pressed the seams open on top, folded the back fabric under and top stitched on the jean side of the quilt. By the time all the blocks were sewn together and top stitched, the quilt was completely done, except for the top stitching around the outer edge. This worked quite well since denim can get very heavy and unruly to sew.



My embroidered quilt label.



Here's the back of the quilt. It 's a coincidence that these are the school colors of the college that S. is attending. I never even thought about that when choosing them.... a mother's unconscious consciousness....or something.

15 comments:

  1. The quilt is beautiful and will be so sturdy. I really like the idea that it is made from family member's jeans -- like taking a bit of home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it turned out great! You do beautiful work, Miss Lily. My favorite part is your embroidered handprint ~ what a treasured gift from Mom to son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great gift for your kids to take along to college. It really is a wonderful keepsake :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful Jody -- and a great tradition! Thanks for the inspiration -- I have a big pile of jeans just waiting to become quilts, so I love to see what others do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, i really like this! what a clever way to use up all those old blue jeans, too. you did a great job, jody.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantabulous Jody! He'll love it forever! And that handprint label...great idea!

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of recycling old jeans, that quilt must feel wonderful. Love the embroidered label too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never did the lap quilting and its been a really lot of years since I did any quilting. This quilt is beautiful and will be a treasure for years to come. what a smart mommy you are.
    Elsie <><

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is really great! Maybe my 16 yr old would like this. I've got fabric to start his quilt but have not been motivated and no design in mind either. Yours seems a perfect answer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you had shown how you made those rows and put them together. You'rs looks so neat! If you make another one would you post some assembly pictures? I'd like to try it like yours. I have 3 denim quilts to make this fall.
    I made one last month and it's just not as nice...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love it!!!!! We did a workshop with the quilt as you go in my guild a year or so ago...I may have to dig out my notes.

    Love the label. How special.
    Your DS will cherish it for always.

    ~M~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. Handsome has a blue jean quilt that his grandmother made. We love this quilt. It's got a good cozy weight to it.
    Love your embroidered quilt label.
    Take care,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the positive feedback! You're all so encouraging. If any of you decide to try the QAYG jeans quilts, I hope you'll post about it on your blogs so we can all be inspired.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this quilt, and I love the idea of it being made from everyone's old jeans. I have long been saving our old blue clothes, including jeans, with the idea of making a quilt or two. Your quilt is more inspiration!

    frances

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...