Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Corn!




Sweet Corn is ripe and being picked daily at one of the the local farms near our HomeTown.  This is the best sweet corn -- tender, white and yellow corn that is juicy and sweet as can be!  The farmers have a roadside stand where they sell it out of the back of a pick-up truck by the dozen.  Today JJo went to town and called to say that they were still selling corn and how many dozen ears did we want for freezing?  JLynn wanted 7 dozen and JJo and I each wanted 4 dozen. 

I went about shucking the corn outside in the sunshine, and then moved my work indoors.  I use my German grandma's recipe where I cut all the raw corn off the cob first and then boil it with salt, a little sugar and water.  I cool it and then measure it into freezer bags.  It's so simple!  And it's so wonderful to enjoy the taste of delicious, fresh sweet corn when winter rolls around.  I sacked up 29 cups of corn today into 2 cup and 3 cup bags.  There's still time to freeze more corn and still time to eat more corn-on-the-cob until it runs out! 

On another note, I'm happy to report that I'm now getting 6 pullet eggs as of today!  They're kicking it in gear!!  Yay for new laying hens!  They also enjoyed nibbling on the discarded cobs today.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, I froze my sweet corn this weekend also. I always froze it straight. I will have to try your method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I froze my sweet corn this weekend also. I always froze it straight. I will have to try your method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! You are so good at putting food by, Jody! Yay for hens that lay! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to have those bags in the freezer. Our son's chickens are giving them about 6 eggs a day now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how nice that the girls are laying. Six eggs!! I think that recipe is just perfect for corn.
    What a nice way to celebrate summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That corn looks delish! So great to have some stashed in the freezer, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...