Sunday, November 25, 2012

Homemade (healthy) chocolate...

Now we're talkin' --  HomemadeHealthy.  Chocolate.

May I also add, easy?  Yes, easy!  I was browsing one of my new favorite sites for healthy eating and healthful living and stumbled upon this delicious, I mean really delicious chocolate recipe.  Not only is it the most delicious chocolate I have ever eaten, it's healthy.  Why?  Because it's made with whole ingredients that are packed with vitamins, minerals and good fats.  That doesn't mean I'm going to eat a panful.  I'd like to try, but it's so rich and creamy that you only need a little to satisfy. So without further ado, I give you the recipe, by Wellness MamaPrint it out.  You'll thank me.

Just a note on the chocolate I made....I didn't have coco butter, so I substituted coconut oil as suggested in the original recipe.  Wellness Mama said it wouldn't be as creamy as using coco butter, but I thought it was VERY creamy and smooth.  It also doesn't harden as much, but I have a fridge!   I can't wait to try it with coco butter next time.  I  added in 1/2 cup of chopped almonds to my batch.  Just so you know, I ran the recipe (with almonds added) through a calorie/nutrition calculator and came up with these statistics.

Cut into 16 pieces.  Calories per piece: 197
Fat 20 g, Cholesterol 0, Potassium 174 mg, sugar 9.4 g, protein 3.6  
A good source of magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin E.

I hope you try it.  Please let me know what you think if you do.

11 comments:

  1. You confused me for a minute. I knew I had read that recipe and then you had just posted it. Made more sense when I read your post. I will have to find some cocoa butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. It looks pretty, too! Well done, Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, it looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing Jody! :) (it's a good job I live so far away from you today!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you don't live next door, you could share some so I don't eat it all up!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, that looks good! I didn't even know you could make your own chocolate -- thanks for the great info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought about making my own chocolate (except for fudge) before. If I were more fussy, I could have made mine into nice little bars, but call them "rustic" and eat them up anyway. I am ordering a candy mold to try pouring the chocolate into neat little bite-sized chunks. Should be fun. I hope you try it.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to try this with the coconut oil because that's what I have. I looked at our health food store today and didn't see cocoa butter there. I was in your part of the country over Thanksgiving weekend. Always a nice drive there.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this and my husband just loves it!!!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...