Monday, May 08, 2017

Potatoes and Pie...

 One of my favorite seasons 
is Rhubarb Pie Season.
Do you know it?
We only have it for a short time in spring
and early summer.
Such a treat.
I make a rhubarb custard pie (recipe below).
It's our fav!

My tulips are blooming like crazy and it's been so windy that I decided to cut a few and bring them indoors to enjoy.  I think the snow and early rains have really helped to bring up the tulips varieties that I haven't seen in a long, long time.  It's exciting to see old friends that I planted years ago.

Today Peach and Toodles helped me plant potatoes.  It's so nice to have littles, who are closer to the ground, put the potatoes in the hole I spade open. 205 hills of potatoes planted!  I had scab on my potatoes last year so one of the ways I am going to try to avoid it is by planting a variety that is scab resistant.  I planted Red Norland.  I'm waiting a little longer to put in the rest of the garden veggies and flower seeds.  We could easily have a frost yet this month.
.................................................................

Rhubarb Custard Pie with Crumb Topping

1unbaked pie crust
4 cups chopped rhubarb

Put rhubarb into crust.

Custard:
Beat:
1 1/4 c. sugar
3 T. flour
2 eggs
Pour this custard over rhubarb. Spread evenly.

Topping:
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c.  butter

Cut in butter into flour and sugar so it resembles small peas. 
Sprinkle over top of pie spreading it evenly to the edges.
Bake in a 350* oven for 1-1/2 hours. Pie will be dark golden in color and have a dry crumbly top.
Cool and serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream and coffee.
 
Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. Ah yes. I remember rhubarb season! I used to have a little patch and we loved rhubarb crisps and a custardy upside down type cake. I see there are some bulbs coming up in my new flower bed. I'll have to investigate further this weekend and see about putting in some tomatoes and squash. :) Enjoy your rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My rhubarb is a ways off yet. As soon as it is ready, I will try the pie. My tulips never return, but I have hope. You are stronger than I am. I put my seedlings in the ground. Hope your potatoes do better this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pie looks delicious!
    I hope it's a good potato year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I saved this pie recipe from a previous post - am I right? But have I baked it - no! I'm glad you put a picture here because I truly do want to bake a pie of some sort soon and I need some prodding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to make this pie. My rhubarb is ready now too.
    I want to plant potatoes this year. I still haven't got my garden planted. We had a storm come up on Saturday and then snow on Sunday. I was glad I hadn't done too much. We are all over the place weather wise. I wish I had some little ones to help me plant potatoes. They do enjoy being such good helpers. Have great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More and more I can appreciate littles or anyone who can get close to the ground for projects and still get up with no problems. :) That rhubarb pie is making my mouth water! Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We live too far south to have much rhubarb. I love that your littles work right alongside you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried Rhubarb. It is not sold around here. But the recipe looks delicious.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...