Monday, August 29, 2016

Retro Cosco high chair refurb #2...

Do you remember my first high chair refurb?  If not, click here.  It was a garage sale find that OnlyDaughter grabbed for me a few years ago, back when we were getting several grandbabies who could use high chairs.  I needed one for my house when the littles came to visit.

I just got another high chair to do a couple weeks ago.  I kinda like these projects.  JJo bought this high chair from Salvation Army Thrift Store for $2.  This one is a fold-up style, not nearly as heavy and sturdy as my first high chair project.  The seat and back of this one were covered in a black plastic table cloth.  I tossed the covering back on the seat so you could see how really UGLY it was.  I tore the chair down and stripped off the foam, but I could not remove the legs because they were riveted on.  That meant I had to tape everything before I painted the metal seat.  I repainted the chair back and tray too.  First I had to sand and strip the rust from the chair's seat and back.  The chrome legs and arms were in pretty good shape, but I used Bar Keeper's Friend on a damp rag to remove any rust or dirty spots.  I was thrilled at how well it removed rust and cleaned it up.  I used Bar Keeper's Friend on the rusty metal seat after I sanded it, and it worked very well on that too.  Good stuff!


For painting I used Rustoleum enamel metal primer and white enamel spray paints.  I finished the metal parts off with two coats of clear enamel spray paint to preserve the paint underneath.



I ordered Marine Vinyl from Amazon for just $11 per yard (including shipping).  This is the stuff you want if you ever want to replace vinyl seats on retro-style furniture or chairs like this.  I found that heating it with a blow dryer or heating it in the hot sun, gave it a nice smooth finish while applying it.  One thing I learned with this project since I didn't have anything to staple the vinyl to is to use Loctite Permanent Spray Adhesive (professional).  This was a life saver for me.  Since I knew the original high chair didn't probably have any cushy foam on the seat and back, I decided to use foam board.  I traced the seat and back onto the foam board, cut it, checked it, then used a lightweight quilt batting to put on the top of the foam board.  Then I laid my chunk of vinyl on top of that, flipped it over, and used the spray adhesive to glue the edges down on the backside.  It took plenty of fiddling and readjusting to get it just right, but it was SO much easier than using E6000 which I tried first.  I discovered you need the quick drying time of the spray adhesive to make this trick work!  Since there was nothing to attach the seat to, I used the same permanent spray adhesive to glue it down to the metal.  I stacked a bunch of encyclopedias on top of it while it dried so I was assured of good contact.  And it worked.

So, there you have it!  Number 2 High Chair Refurb!

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful transformation. You did a great job and your tips are very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a super job with the old high chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! It always makes me so happy to see a piece of (forgive me) junk restored to something beautiful and useful. You have created a family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's incredible...what a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks incredible. What a nice job!
    I also loved your hints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Jody -- it looks amazing!!! Now I want one LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, love it! Where did you find the red vinyl fabic? I have an retro stool I need to recover but have not been able to find the right kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shanna! You can buy the heavy duty red vinyl from Amazon. Look for Marine Vinyl. You should be able to buy it for about $10 per yard which includes shipping. It's really wide too -- I think about 56".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post .Tods n teens Provide largest variety of Baby/Kids Clothing and Hygiene Products.order now.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...