Friday, June 20, 2014

In the garden...

(the first poppy blooms)

 (tomatoes, pruned and staked)

 (lettuce, kale, peas, carrots)

 (cucumbers and onions)

(pumpkins and zucchini in front, potatoes in back)

In the garden..... I decided to stake the tomatoes.  I always put an ice cream bucket around them when I first set them out to protect them from our strong prairie winds, but there comes a point when they must stand on their own.  I stake them so they don't fall over as they grow heavy with tomatoes, and I regularly prune the leaves so most of the energy of the plant goes into producing tomatoes and not leaves.  I tried this process last year and it worked very well, plus it conserves space in my raised bed gardens.  I planted some carrot seed and lettuce seed around the tomato plants for the first time so we'll see how that works out.

It seems that most of my garden things are a little slow, but it's probably because we've had such cool weather.  The peppers really want HOT days and I think the tomatoes do too.  The potatoes are really looking good and need another layer of straw mulch.  I did a version of the "no dig method," but I did dig in a little bit.  NumberOneSon tilled my spot and I pressed the spuds into the soil about 3" before covering them up with a thick layer of straw.  The idea is to get more potatoes growing up in the straw and not have to dig them too much.  The pumpkins and squash are looking healthy and the herbs are doing well.  I planted lots of parsley, basil, cilantro, and thyme by seed, and I'm excited to use them all fresh.   I planted sage and rosemary transplants out in the beds too. The dill volunteers all over the garden beds, even in the flowers beds.  Did you see Susan Branch's Basil Lemonade recipe?  Oh boy, that one is on my summer drink list!  And I love fresh basil and garlic with tomatoes over pasta.  I can't wait for homegrown tomatoes, but for now, I'll be satisfied with the small sprouts and remain hopeful for a bountiful garden by summer's end. 

Happy Birthday to CarpenterSon today!  He's 26 years old!
Happy Summer Solstice to you tomorrow!

13 comments:

  1. We use t posts to tie ours up but I think re-bar is a good idea. We have lots of leftover metal from when our son built the pool fence.
    Your garden looks really nice too. You have so much stuff growing. I hope it warms up for your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The re-bar works really well. It's strong and pushes into the ground well. Gets a little hot though.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful poppy and garden, too! I have a new-to-me type of basil that I've been meaning to post. It has tiny little leaves and looks nothing like the regular sort, but it smells just like it. I like the way it grows better and the tiny leaves. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you post about the new basil plant. I'd like to know about it.

      Delete
  3. Your poppy is unbelievable - it must be the quintessential POPPY! I love seeing these detailed pics of your garden, and I wish I had learned/could learn to prune tomatoes...is it never too late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These poppies are the quintessential poppies. The old fashioned variety that is a perennial, yet spills lots of seed. It truly is beautiful and the flowers are as big as saucers. I think it's never too late to learn more about growing tomatoes. There's always something new to me!

      Delete
  4. I've gotten my first few red tomatoes from my patio bushes (in pots). Boy, tomatoes do require hot weather (ugh), and y'all have had such a winter! I hope you get your good hot days, and lots of yummy tomato sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's warming up a little. I can't wait for tomato sandwiches.

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks great! Mine is lagging, due to constant rain and only a few days of warm sun. I will have to try the basil lemonade. I love lemonade on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have planted onions. Is it too late?
    Your garden is growing so fine! I like your growing ways, Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -- it never occurred to me to prune the tomatoes -- thanks for the suggestion Jody. Your garden looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely, lovely garden! Dave always pruned the tomatoes and planted them deep and we always had a bumper crop. such a beautiful poppy; they're among my favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never heard of pruning tomatoes but I'll try it this year. Ours didn't do so well last year. Our whole garden will be later this year due to our cold spring. Strawberries still haven't come yet! They'll be so appreciated when they finally do arrive! Love your poppy picture!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...