Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Day of Preparation....

Today is what we call, The Day of Preparation, the day before a big holiday like Thanksgiving.  It usually consists of baking pies and breads, making the cheese ball and cranberries, and also the frog eye salad or goodies that can be made ahead.  There are table cloths and napkins to launder and shirts to iron, the glass turkey candle holders must be found and some candles for the Thanksgiving table.  This year all of our kids are away for the Thanksgiving holiday.  The "outlaws" get them this holiday, and they'll all be home (we think) for Christmas.  It's a good plan.  Our youngest two sons are not married, but one lives far away in Tucson and the other is on-call at the campus where he works.  We figured it would be "just the two of us" this Thanksgiving, but we got a nice invite from my parents and my brother and his family will be there too.  It'll be good.

I've always dreamed about what it would be like to show up to a Thanksgiving feast with a salad in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other.  And now the dream has come true.  Actually, I will be bringing the homemade dinner rolls and a broccoli side dish, but hey, it's not an entire meal!  Oh, I decided to make some spiced nuts to share so there is still a Day of Preparation for me.  I'll call it Preppy Lite.  The real dream is to show up at my one of my children's homes for Thanksgiving dinner and bring the salad and wine.

I don't know about you, but I absolutely can't wait for the dressing and gravy -- my favorite part of  the Thanksgiving dinner.  That, and pumpkin pie with REAL whipped cream.  What do you look forward to?  Football?  A nap?  Left-overs?

Let's give a rousing cheer for all the Thanksgiving cooks out there! Wooo Hooo!

14 comments:

  1. Enjoy glad your dream came true.
    Loved the video :)
    Wishing you a beautiful Thanksgiving.
    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. That's a cute video. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops - My second post got posted first.
    I wanted to say, Isn't it lovely, this relaxed kind of Preparation Day...I have had three of them so far, and I wouldn't mind if they are like this from here on, unless of course I could have a few of my kids here on this Day Before, to help me the way they used to 20 years ago.
    I'm responsible to bring a vegetable dish to the dinner we are invited to, but I am adding in a pie and some jello, so I am busy, but I can let the house go.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! ( I am most looking forward to spending relaxed hours with my little grandson.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having help on the Day of Preparation would be nice, yes, but it doesn't seem to happen that way, does it? Letting the house go is another perk to Thanksgiving at someone else's house!

      Delete
  4. Jack is making the pumpkin pies tonight and that's it for prep work. We have a fairly simple Thanksgiving at home, so I'll be able to do the sides tomorrow morning. Now, please, your recipe for frog eye salad, please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. so very glad you're not having the brunt of the work; it's nice to be giving all the compliments, Jody.have a wonderful day tomorrow, be safe and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, giving all the compliments is fun to do!

      Delete
  6. I am looking forward to my family all being here. Usually on Thanksgiving I never think the food is very good, by then I am too tired to eat it..lol
    Happy Thanksgiving, Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the video!! We live far away from relatives so all the cooking falls to me. Enjoy your well-deserved "light" year:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a wonderful experience to enjoy the full Thanksgiving Meal with just a dish in hand! Tomorrow I'm only in charge of the yams!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treat for you, Jody! (but I hope the kids will be back at your place for Christmas!)

    We're doing a fair amount of cooking but don't have to worry about the house because we will schlep all the food to the Community Hall about 1 mile away to join with my husband's extended family. (It's an old schoolhouse where my husband's grandmother went to grade school. We always have Thanksgiving and Easter there.) Then on Saturday we'll bring more food up to the mountains to eat yet again at my mother's house.

    We're cooking the turkey, a couple pies, cookies, creamed onions, bourbon corn pudding and squash. Oh, and we have to dig up and cook some potatoes tomorrow morning.

    I'm rambling. I'm just glad to be sitting down. It's been a busy day!
    Happy Thanksgiving!,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Thanksgiving dishes sound really wonderful, Angie, and I like how you carry them to the two families. How very good of you. You deserve a good, long sit-down this evening. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That commercial is hysterical -- thanks for the laugh. It sounds like you had a perfect Thanksgiving! ;-D

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...