Thursday, March 28, 2013

Like one of us...

 Jesus as a boy from The Passion of the Christ

I've been thinking about Jesus these past few days.  Most of the time, I think of Jesus as a grown man, walking through Israel with His disciples, teaching the multitudes, and tipping over tables in the temple, but lately I've been thinking of Him as a child and a teenage boy. Since Jesus was totally human like my kids, I imagine Him as a toddler, sneezing with a cold and wiping His messy nose on Mary's sleeve.  I'll bet there were times when He was up crying in the night because He was all stuffed-up and needed some Vicks  eucalyptus ointment rubbed on his chest.  I can see Him with scraped, bruised knees from racing his brothers over the gravel roads and falling after skidding across rocks.  I imagine Mary picking slivers from Jesus' hands as he learned to use the tools of a carpenter alongside Joseph.  If He worked as hard as I think He did, I'll bet He was sweaty and stinky with his hair full of wood shavings after a hard day's work, and if He was anything like my boys, He probably didn't wash all the way up to his elbows before supper and had to go back and rewash before sitting down to the table.  And I'll bet He forgot to brush His teeth regularly.  Halo shining?  Not a chance.  Totally human was my Savior, Jesus -- like one of us.

These thoughts bring me to a song that I heard for the first time a couple of nights ago.  It's called "One of Us."   I like this particular version of it best from contestant, Sarah Simmons, on the night she debuted on The Voice.



Here is a link to the full song One of Us (sung by Sarah Simmons)

13 comments:

  1. I love this song. I loved the tv show Joan of Arcadia and they used it for the lead in. Sarah Simmons did such a wonderful job.

    The Saviour was human. I think that is what makes our relationship with him so personal. I think of his mother watching him on the cross and can not imagine the agony. I love Easter and the time of renewal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I think you are right. The fact that He was human helps us to know that He knows right where we are in this life. When I think of the cross, I think of it from a mom's perspective too, and then I think, he did it for me. Awesome and humbling.

      Delete
  2. Have a wonderful Easter Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, J. I love trying to imagine Jesus's life more fully. We're really just given this three-year chunk of it, and yet he lived a full life, with parents and brothers and sisters, a neighborhood, work.

    Beautiful rendition of this song--I like it better than the original. Thanks for posting it!

    Easter blessings!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it have been interesting to be the neighbor of Jesus and His family? Glad you like Sarah's version of One of Us.

      Delete
  4. I have a stinky, full-throttle, sweet boy just about the age Jesus would have been when he stayed at the temple instead of going home with his parents. Thanks for the reminder that Jesus was totally human as well as totally God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you have a "full throttle" boy, like you said, it's cool to realize Jesus was too. Man and God. Amazing.

      Delete
  5. Fully God, fully man, so hard to grasp. Love this version of the song, Jody! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like this version of the song. Me too.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this... I LOVE letting my mind settle on thoughts like these... it makes the wonder of it all even more amazing. That dirty, snotty, boy was... IS God. Geez. Hard to wrap my brain around it. =)
    Breahn Royal
    Longview Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Totally human and God with a face, hands, and a snotty nose too. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Breahn.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Jody, I loved the images of Jesus you have described x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...