Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Repurpose into Christmas...

 I really like to "make do" with what I have when it comes to crafting and sewing things.  I think if we "shopped" in our own homes, we would find that we have plenty of stuff to repurpose into new things.  Bits and pieces can easily be turned into Pretty Things with a little imagination.  I had decided that I would keep my very delicate spruce Christmas tree simple with white lights and icicles, but I thought it lacked a little homeliness and color, so I decided to make a garland from twine and Hubs' old plaid shirt that was in the "cut up pile."  I simply cut the shirt into strips with my pinking shears and then cut lengths of about 5-6" and tied them onto the twine, leaving a little space between each one.  That's it.  Later I was thinking that I could have tied little spruce cones into the garland too.  Here's the tree now with her bits of red plaid and her homemade star.
 Hazel Peach spent the day with us yesterday and she loved the jingle bell wreath on our front door so I had an idea to make jingle bells to play with and shake while I taught her the age-old favorite carol, Jingle Bells.  All I did here was to string some small jingle bells that I had on hand onto a piece of red yarn, and then I tied bits of red ribbon in between the bells.  I realize this is not a fancy-shmancy craft, but we both had fun singing and jingling together.  Now I'm thinking about making a felt wrist band with jingle bells attached.  Does anyone remember when baby shoes had jingle bells on the laces?

Now I'm off to create a super-hero cape out of a scrap of red fabric for my 3 year-old nephew's Christmas gift.  Happy re-purposing!

11 comments:

  1. Its a very cute idea! I was just thinking today that it would be neat to try and make a pine cone garland with all the little pine cones you sent home with me.

    Hazel loves her jingle bells by the way. She's been walking around saying "jingle, jingle" while shaking them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the garland with the plaid shirt - a brilliant and festive idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's time for this granny to make some jingle bells!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you're so clever Ms. Gumbo! I'm sure I could shop my stash -- probably for the rest of my life. But I just can't resist all the fabulous new fabric lines that appear here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the country look the red plaid gives to your garland. I prefer the simple look of decorations instead of all the glitz and glitter of too many lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you down home ideas. We decorate with things around the house and yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, love hearing about the things you do with little Hazel. Your tree is beautiful and I like your garland. I've been contemplating making one but haven't really hit on anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tree is wonderful...so simple and homey,the star is beautiful. I put jingle bells on my babies shoes...I still have one some where..the kind where the laces fit inside. Thanks for reminded me...blessings,Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love jingle bells on everything. I put them on our doors this time of year so that the doors jingle every time we open or close them.

    Lovely tree! Is it my imagination or is snow falling all over your blog? I'm seeing little white dots.

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frances, yes! It's snowing here at my blog. I'm glad you noticed.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had the same idea to use some of my flannel squares to make bows for the tree! I've been saving squares for a quilt "some year" and they would look so pretty on the tree. Have a cozy Christmas, Jody and family!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...