Saturday, December 11, 2010

December days....

 This morning was crisp and cold -- not even ten degrees when I left the house.  The snow is hard now and squeaks as I walk on it.  Hubs was putting out the hay with the tractor as I drove over the hill and saw the cows coming up out of the breaks for feed.  I had the pick-up loaded with alfalfa cake for them. The sheep and the cows and the bucks and the bulls were all happy to see me.



 I've been spending a portion of my evenings in front of the fire embroidering some Christmas gifties.  Sometimes I just sit before the fire and drift, not really thinking about anything in particular, but just staring at the fire in a hypnotic trance.

Do you ever crave one of those all-in-one-pan suppers that is baked in the oven?  I do.  This evening I whacked up a meat & potato pie with a good lard crust on top.  It has been such a long time since I've made one of these and it was *just* what I wanted.  Hubs and Hazel Peach thought it was just right too.

After our supper, HP and I turned the Christmas music on and played with the red yarn and the jingle bells.  I made a jingle bell cuff for her with green wool felt.  I attached the jingle bells with red yarn and then used the tails of the yarn to embroider a little design on the cuff.  I sewed on velcro to secure it to her wrist.  Next Christmas I'll be making three Jingle Cuffs (for HP and the new grands).

After reading Pom Pom's Ponderings about Gladys Taber's Stillmeadow Daybook, I read the December chapter for myself and felt all snuggled into December as if Gladys had tucked me securely into a bed of memories and pulled up the covers to my chin so I'd be cozy and warm with the pleasure of it.  The first snowfall, setting feeders out for the birds, hunting for misplaced Christmas gifts bought in August, cooking meals with spices from far-away lands, cutting the Christmas tree, singing the ancient carols like Good King Wensceslas and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, and meditations of the Carpenter's Son born in Bethlehem all speak so very well of December days to me.  I pray that you are savoring the distinct quiet stillness of December.  Scatter joy along your way.

10 comments:

  1. Your stove looks so much like mine...but mine is a LOPI, and the word partially obscured by your feet doesn't seem to spell that same name. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Gladys Taber; but after reading your post, I checked out her books online at my local library. They don't have Stillmeadow Daybook, but they have several others; so I think I'll be making a trip to the library this week. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my nose in Gladys Taber's books whenever things get quiet enough. What a joy they are! I found the package of jingle bells yesterday when Birdie and Miss Bug were helping me open a few more holiday boxes! We danced to Christmas tunes and they "argued" over the interesting baubles. I was too busy to fashion cuffs but maybe I shall have some quiet sewing time today. Thanks for the sheep peek! Sending Advent love your way . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to have found your blog! Your landscape and daily activities are at once so unlike, yet so like mine. The flat prairie, animals and a grandbaby are not part of my world. But the slippers? Fire? Hand-work? Warm supper? All those are comfortingly familiar. Thanks for a lovely post. I need the reminder to spread joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That supper pie looks wonderful. How about sharing your recipe? When did we all get so worried about using lard in our piecrusts. My MIL and Mom used it all their lives and both lived to be 90 & 91.

    You always look so relaxed to me and yet I wonder at all you do - farmwork, housework, sewing, etc. Wonderful.

    Hugs

    fredaB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your landscape speaks stillness and quiet to me. So vast. Love the feet in front of the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, don't you love December? All the fun holiday preparations, along with snow and warm cozy fires? It sounds just perfect where you are Jody. I'm always amazed that the animals survive winter -- how would they do it without men to feed them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your landscape picture almost looks like the beach at first glance. Sounds like a cozy, wonderful December you are enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. More jingle bells--hurray!

    I really must read this Gladys Taber. She sounds like my cup of tea.

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the photos and the jingle bell cuff is too cute! I haven't read GT in a long time. I've been re-reading my Little House books this month (something I do every year).

    Have a wonder Christmas!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...