Sunday, August 02, 2009

cherry, cherry truck, cherry pie....



The Fourth-Born Child took the cherry-red truck to go picking cherries for me. Wasn't that sweet of him? I thought so. He was so dear, he took the time to click a few pictures for me. ( He knew I'd want to blog about it)



The two trees were absolutely loaded with sour cherries.

My friend, Kathie was here and together we pitted those cherries, froze some, and made a pie with the rest. I was so glad she was here to help me, but she also offered a fabulous pie-making tip. If you're in a summer heatwave like we're just gliding into, you'll appreciate her tip because the oven will only be on for a few minutes instead of an hour or so. Thanks Kathie!

Kathie's Fabulous Pie-Making Tip

Make any fruit pie according to your recipe.
Preheat oven to 400*.
While the oven is preheating, pop the un-baked pie into the microwave and set it for 10 minutes. When the timer goes off, place the mostly-baked pie into the oven on the lowest rack to finish off the baking and to brown the crust. This should take approximately 10-15 minutes depending on your oven. When the crust is golden, remove and cool the pie.

Kiss the cook!

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, beautiful picture of the cherries! I love cherries. I'll have to try the pie making tip--I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my those cherries are so vibrant. The photos dear son took are fabulous!! You've trained him well :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what I love -- kids who help you with your blogging (as opposed to those who tease you about it!) What a great pie tip -- I'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are your cherries ripening just now? Our trees usually bear around the 4th of July, but they were two weeks later this year because of the cool weather. I have many new jars of cherry jam on the shelf and quart bags of cherry pie filling in the freezer. The birds cleaned off the cherries we didn't pick and I don't think we'll see the orchard oriole around here anymore this year. It's interesting to hear of the variation in SD growing times.
    Thanks for the pie tip.I will surely try it sometime in the next few weeks when the heat makes its way down here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cherries, in pies, just eating the fresh fruit--most any form of cherries will do. Unfortunately, it's the only thing my husband is allergic to so I have to partake all by myself. Isn't that a shame? LOL

    Anyway, thank you for the pie tip, I'd have never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy, cherries! We've had some scorchers here (unusally hot temps for the Pacific NW) and I'm loathe to use my oven. The BBQ is getting a workout instead. ThanX for the baking tip. I'm curious if you noticed any difference in the teXture of the crust with this method (did partial nuking make it less tender)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good pie crust tip. I'm one of those people who doesn't trust her microwave, but I'll give this a go as prebaking pastry is always a bit of a bore and a real chore if it's hot and your oven is on.

    Have you ever made cherry brandy with your cour cherries? It's very worthwhile. Glug, glug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jody,
    I love the red theme!!! LK's mil pops her pie crust in the microwave too before she bakes it.

    I must say I'm totally confused about this pie baking process. Some say to pop it in the freezer for 20 minutes before baking in the oven and others stick it in the microwave before the oven! Maybe it's freezer--microwave---oven!
    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful cherries! How nice of Fourth Born to take pix for you.

    Like Dulce, I'm a little distrustful of my microwave, especially for something as delicate and wonderful as pie crust, but I'm going to give microwave pie cooking a go. A pie in twenty minutes--go figure!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...